Thursday, October 16, 2008

Gag-o-rama

So last night I was instant messaging with my friend. We were talking about Gerard Butler and Keith Urban when I made a very clever comment. My friend responded with a comment that included "LOL." Quickly she responded again and said, "I have never typed that before. It's just not me." My comeback was "huh, she actually said LOL."

You know, I'm not into little phrases like LOL, TGIF, OMG and the like. I must be getting old because I just can't bring myself to say things like OMG. The realization is that (sigh) I'm getting old. It is kind of cute when my 8-year old niece says OMG but I still had the thought "huh, she just said that." So I had to ponder, what stupid thing I used to say when I was . . . so much younger. And then it came to me, the catch phrase of my younger years. Gag me with a spoon. I don't know the origin of the phrase and I really don't want to know.

The image that comes to me is a girl of 15 to 16 years old, probably blond, standing in the middle of a gaggle of girls about the same age. She has permed hair that is in a ponytail that is shooting off the side of her head. Her clothes are Units brand with a very bright red shirt and a white t-shirt underneath (layers, remember) and white stretch stirrup pants. Her shoes are plastic jellys and she has two pairs of socks on, red and white, of course. This trendy young woman has the bottom part of her red shirt tied into a knot to offset the ponytail. Don't forget the accessories of jelly bracelets and rings of neon green, yellow and orange to show her electric personality. As she is telling her story of the night before when her brother told her to get off the phone and how rude he was, her response was, "Gag me with a spoon." The sea of pegged pants and jelly shoes roared with laughter.

I am glad that those days have passed. I can deal with hearing or reading LOL, TGIF, OMG and more but please don't expect to hear it from me.

1 comment:

Jill said...

LOL! Wait, how did you know that happened to me and exactly what I was wearing? That is creepy. JK OMG TGIF